Friday, July 15, 2011

This One's for the Girls

We can't escape culture's effect on the way we think about our lives, our plans, and who we should be. What we can do is fight the lies we are faced with every day by looking at Truth.

I love the mindset that is exposed in this post:

http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/motherhood-is-a-calling-and-where-your-children-rank


I was challenged to take a second and evaluate my thinking. I love being a mom, it's everything I want. But how easy it is to let culture effect my attitude toward my kids as I parent my 20 month old and am pregnant with another little one! It is exhausting and so easy to get lost in my selfishness as I walk through my days. There is the constant reminder of my desperate need for Jesus and a gratefulness that I am accepted by God not because of things I am doing, but because of Christ's death on the cross and resurrection. I am so thankful that God has given me faith in Christ! Without that my days would be filled with despair instead of joy.

I know that God has not called every girl to be a mom right now. Like if you're not married, I can be sure you shouldn't be pursuing motherhood at this point. Or God may be calling you to faithfully serve Him by serving your family in another way. He is good and He is wise. I also know that God never calls us to pursue our selfish ambitions. And that is what flies in the face of what is being preached at us by our culture.

Psalm 1
Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.
He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers.

1 comment:

  1. This site needs a like button because I like this!

    ReplyDelete